Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving to Photos - will it automatically create folders/albums?

So currently I manually sort my photos and often put into its own folder e.g. “Holiday 2017” or "Halloween 2016" - have a folder called Digital Photos and inside there loads of sub folders. (I just manually transfer photos from iPhone to Mac every now and then). And just using Picasa to manage - although that is no longer being updated. (And use Google Photos to backup etc)

Considering using Apple Photos but my question is -

If importing photos into Apple Photos, can it auto create these sub folders as there own folders/albums in Photos?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 8:25 AM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2017 8:35 AM in response to asy1mpo9

Photos 3.0 on High Sierra can import nested folders and keep the folder structure (sort of), if you enable the option "Keep Folder Structure" when importing photos, but Photos 2.0 on Sierra cannot do it. if you are using Photos on Sierra you would have to run an Apple Script to recreate the folders in Photos, see this user tip: Import Folders of Image Files into Library as Albums

Nov 14, 2017 9:04 AM in response to asy1mpo9

Thanks for the info. I will eventually update to High Sierra. So if I enable the Keep Folder Structure option and just drag and drop my main Digital Photos folder, Photos will import the nested folders and create the albums/folders?

What if in the future I create another sub folder in my Digital Photos folder? Will it automatically add the folder or will I need to drag and drop folder in myself.

Thanks again for the info.

Nov 14, 2017 11:16 AM in response to asy1mpo9

So if I enable the Keep Folder Structure option and just drag and drop my main Digital Photos folder, Photos will import the nested folders and create the albums/folders?

Use the command "File > Import" in Photos and select the enclosing folder of the folders you want to import. Then the option " Keep Folder Structure" will show for that particular import.

Moving to Photos - will it automatically create folders/albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.