Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot log in password on another mac

Have a macbook pro about four years old and have stripped it to make it available to another user. tried to open it up and was confronted with a need for a password which I don't believe I had set but did try the password I had used before I stripped it and this didn't work. Nor dod others I might have used. tried directions for resetting provided by mac support and nothing works. How do I get this thing opened? Whitey, St. Paul

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:24 AM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2017 12:57 PM in response to gjpw

See if any of the following articles can help:

As another option, you can attempt to reset the Administrator password via Recovery Mode, as follows:

• Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.
  • When the menu bar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.
  • Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

forgot log in password on another mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.