Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini won’t wake from sleep with High Sierra a few hours after install

I tried to install High Sierra twice. After the first install the mac mini would go to sleep and wake up with a mouse click, but after a couple of hours of use it would not respond when I tried to wake it up.

On the second install High Sierra would wake up every time I tested it the first day, but the next morning it once again would not respond when it was put to sleep.

Mac mini works fine with OS Sierre version 10.12.6

3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB Memory 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:56 AM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2017 2:35 PM in response to Paul-R-H

Hi Paul-R-H,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the computer is not waking from sleep when expected. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

• Your screen brightness might be turned down.
  • If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off.
  • Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.
  • Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

User uploaded file

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue:

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions.
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account.

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support.

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Cheers

Mac mini won’t wake from sleep with High Sierra a few hours after install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.