Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: trouble with new OS update to High Sierra

I'm having issues with the upgrade to High Sierra. Can't find "mail", "Word", etc.

Then the next time I boot up I'm back to the old OS system. Today I have things to do and I'm back to the new system.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 14, 2017 8:31 PM in response to WVellen In response to WVellen

Clarification questions - if you go to the  menu/About this Mac, what OS are you currently running? You boot and your in the old system, then today you are in the new?

Have you checked the Applications folder for the applications you can't find?

Nov 14, 2017 8:31 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 4:46 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Today when I booted up, I'm back to MacOS Sierra.

I can tell which one I'm in by the wallpaper that appears. When it kicks into High Sierra, I can't find programs in Applications, can't get email, etc. My second monitor won't even work.

Today I'm happy with the old system so I can get things done.

Is this a weird problem?

Thanks for trying to help.

Nov 15, 2017 4:46 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 3:31 AM in response to WVellen In response to WVellen

Yes a weird problem.

If you are sure you are in Sierra and not in High Sierra, restart in the RecoveryPartition (CMD+R) and choose Install OS from the menu: this will reinstall a complete Sierra, without touching your user data (but of course you have backups in case of an emergency). This takes some time because Sierra is completely downloaded.

Nov 16, 2017 3:31 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 21, 2017 5:08 PM in response to WVellen In response to WVellen

Your solution seems easy enough. Everything is currently working in Sierra so I'm afraid to mess with it. Maybe during the holidays. Thanks so much. And I'll keep you posted.

Nov 21, 2017 5:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 22, 2017 12:49 AM in response to WVellen In response to WVellen

If Sierra is working OK, and you do not need any special features of High Sierra, just stay on Sierra.

Whenever you would like to go to High Sierra, make a post here before, and include an etrecheck.list

We can reply better with advice then.

Nov 22, 2017 12:49 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: WVellen

Question: trouble with new OS update to High Sierra