Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot edit photos in the latest version

Hi

In the old version of photos i could edit, to a degree lol, i could use the retouch and chose the size of the circle to what i need it for, i have attached a pic so you know what i am on about, i would use the large circle to turn the backing a nice smooth looking surface by removing all the imperfections, it worked really fast immediately actually and i could do the same with the nail by using a smaller circle, yet since installing the latest update for photos it takes such a long time, i can wait for 10 minutes just to smooth 1 inch of the page, then when i click done, because i am fed up of not being able to make any adjustments, i quite photos and it takes ages to quit, also when in photos editing my fan on my MacBook pro starts up ??????, can anybody shed any light on why this happens can tell me how to edit my photo without wanting to launch my mac across the room please.

Thanking you in advance

Tracey xx

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:57 AM

16 replies

Nov 21, 2017 1:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Sorry for late reply but have been ill again.

I have taken a screen shot and will post it with the reply this time, oops lol, I was on the edit in photos for less than 2 minutes and my fan kicked in, as soon as I came out of edit it stopped, I used to be able to retouch no problem and edit the light etc, I am not a photo expert far from it lol, but I did manage to do what I needed but since he photo update I cannot do anything anymore.

Tracey xUser uploaded file

Nov 14, 2017 11:22 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie

I have the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). 2.2GHz Intel Core i7

the other thing i do not understand is why my fan kicks in when it never ever kicks in and only does when i try to edit the photos which basically **** useless as it takes 15 or 20 minutes to edit 1 photo which is beyond belief really, would i be able to go back to the old version of photos as i really need to use it, i did get a couple of photo editing things one called, Snapheal and FX Photo studio Ck & CK-2, i have noooooo idea on how to use it, i saw the advert when the guy takes a photo of a girl on the beach and there were loads of other people in the shot but he got rid of them in one motion in 2 seconds, i have taken days to look at and nothing just nothing lol.

Could you tell me how i go back to the old photo please, i really neeeeed help lol .

Thanks hun

Tracey xx

Nov 14, 2017 11:35 AM in response to Traceykate

I have been confused by the profile signature below your original post, Traceykate. It says "MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)". But if you are using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), the hardware cannot be the problem. My MacBook Pro is the same model and it is running now well on High Sierra. Initially, I heard the fan running quite a lot. This has been caused by Photos analyzing all photos again for categories and faces. The upgrade to High sierra improved the algorithms for the face detection and the categories. It may take a few daysuntil the scan will be completed, if your library is large. Keep the Mac connected to poer during the night and don't shut it down, so Photos can finish the library scan.

Nov 14, 2017 12:15 PM in response to léonie

Hi

I am sorry about the confusion but they all seem to confuse me lol, my old macbook was the 2012 then bought a new one this year, the pro retina 2015 is what i have, i have had it connected to the power and it was updatd a week ago i think and the fan only works when i am in photos and trying to edit a picture, nothing to spectacular just like the picture i showed, i would have thought it should have the face detection done by now, but it really has been only since the photos update, the High Sierra is all fine its just photos that is the problem, at first i thought it was my mac but all is working great, i have looked at the manual for how to edit the photos and it only tells me what i already knew, not a lot granted lol but just what i needed, i just looked and i bought this on march 15 at an apple store.

Tracey xx

Nov 16, 2017 4:32 AM in response to léonie

Hi Lionie

Sorry wasn't well so couldnt reply yesterday so i wasn't ignoring you hun.

I will try that tonight , i have just gone into photos to edit another pic of a nail and as i was trying, emphasis on trying lol, the fan came on and i had only just started it, the fan never comes on apart from when trying to edit a photo and i still cant edit it, it will not save or t just sits there with the black lines in a circle in the bottom right of the picture, i really do not know why it will not edit the photo, is there a manual on how to edit the photos, i have looked at the manual on apple but it is very very very short instructions and i dont' know where else i can get a better manual to use photo's, if i cant is there a way to go back to the old photos hun.

Thank you

Tracey xx

Nov 16, 2017 4:48 AM in response to léonie

I have just taken a screen shot showing the bottom right of the nail pic with the circle of black lines turning, that has now been going for 20 minutes and has not altered the picture with the brightness it wanted t to go to,

i have tied all sorts of apps on the mac to see if its that but everything works perfect just not photos

Tracey xx

Cannot edit photos in the latest version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.