Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I extract data from HD on mac that won't boot?

A couple days ago I got the flashing question mark folder at start up. I tried to boot in recovery mode but no disk shows up in start up disk utility. I'm hoping I just need to replace the cable inside the macbook.

But more importantly - I need to get the data off that hard drive before I go around trying to fix this computer. What is the best way to get the data off hard drive safely?

1) Should I get an external hard drive and copy data from recovery mode? Is this possible, and if so how do I do that?

2) Should I remove the hard drive and use an external enclosure and use a different computer to copy that data to a second external hard drive? Keep in mind I don't have access to another Mac so it would have to be done on PC.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, I really need that data! (and I really need to get this computer to turn on!)

MacBook Pro

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 12:19 PM in response to m3power333 In response to m3power333

Hi,

#1 isn't going to work if you can't boot. There's no way around that.

Use #2, but you are going to need another Mac. You can also try Target Disk Mode, but again, you're going to need another Mac.

Nov 14, 2017 12:19 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: m3power333

Question: How do I extract data from HD on mac that won't boot?