Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: AVG scan , malware, virus, safe ? files were quarantined. PLEASE HELP

I recently ran an AVG scan on my 2015 MacBook Pro and the results ended up putting the following 7 files in quarantine. Can anyone please tell me if they are safe, malware or a virus. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

1. /private/var/db/uuidtext/27/5C90F7E4A93732B3C1B576AF6DA7D5
  2. /private/var/db/uuidtext/CE/091E3F4BEB3FA1BB3B9B04E33EA54D
  3. /private/var/db/uuidtext/8B/BB1EDDB3363F1BBA0C9C25D1A3DD42
  4. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/com.QuickLookSearches/QuickLookSearches
  5. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/infs
  6. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/rlistupdater.app/Contents/MacOS/rl istupdater
  7. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/MacOS/helperamc

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS 10.13.1 High Sierra

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 5:05 PM in response to MacGJ In response to MacGJ

1. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/infs
  2. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/rlistupdater.app/Contents/MacOS/rl istupdater
  3. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/MacOS/helperamc

These would be related to Advanced Mac Cleaner. It is not a virus, but a form of adware or Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

/Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/com.QuickLookSearches/QuickLookSearches

This one may be related to Anysearchmac. A browser extension. It is also a PUP.

The others I'm not sure about. I suggest that you leave these all in Quarantine for the next day or two to see if there are any issues. If none come up, go ahead and delete them.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 5:05 PM in response to MacGJ In response to MacGJ

1. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/infs
  2. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/Resources/rlistupdater.app/Contents/MacOS/rl istupdater
  3. /Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/amc/helperamc.app/Contents/MacOS/helperamc

These would be related to Advanced Mac Cleaner. It is not a virus, but a form of adware or Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

/Users/mgj/Library/Application Support/com.QuickLookSearches/QuickLookSearches

This one may be related to Anysearchmac. A browser extension. It is also a PUP.

The others I'm not sure about. I suggest that you leave these all in Quarantine for the next day or two to see if there are any issues. If none come up, go ahead and delete them.

Nov 14, 2017 5:05 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 14, 2017 5:41 PM in response to BobTheFisherman In response to BobTheFisherman

so you do not need any protection ? I know they are not as rampant as in windows, but virus for mac still exist. Very controversial subject .. I'm a newbie , so would be very interested in the reasoning behind your answer.

Nov 14, 2017 5:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 5:47 PM in response to MacGJ In response to MacGJ

Name one Mac virus that exists out in the wild that could affect your computer. Modern OSs like High Sierra have built in protections and third party anti virus apps interfere with the built in protection.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Search these communities for anti virus apps such as avg, Kaspersky, Norton, AVAST, etc. to see what others have to say about them. While you are at it do a search in these communities for third party apps that claim to clean, protect, manage, boost performance such as CleanMyMac, Advanced MacCleaner, etc.

Nov 14, 2017 5:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 5:48 PM in response to MacGJ In response to MacGJ

I am sorry but I must concur with Bob that any AV software does far more damage then good on the Mac. I suggest you uninstall AVG using the uninstall procedure written by the developer for it.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Nov 14, 2017 5:48 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 6:00 PM in response to BobTheFisherman In response to BobTheFisherman

prob. I've been running my 2015 macbpro without prob until yesterday... something called mac book keep?? poped up and then everywhere I visited had one of their pop up windows.. like they were following me.. lol so I installed the AVG and the 7 paths were quarantined. I was told they were harmful or at least adware/malware... I wonder why APPLE didn't catch it ?

Nov 14, 2017 6:00 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 6:12 PM in response to MacGJ In response to MacGJ

Many, many people, including those who should know better (cough, cough! anti-virus makers and so-called security "experts") call many types of malware viruses that aren't a virus at all. These groups of folks all treat the word virus as a generic term. It's not. Malware is the generic term (short for MALiscious softWARE). A virus is just one type of malware that work in specific ways.

Virus - can infect other directly connected computers or drives by copying themselves to them without any user interaction necessary. These do not exist in the Mac OS. Unix does not allow apps to write files wherever they want. A virus is not a registered user, so has no permissions to write anything.

Trojan - software that requires the user to do something to get it installed. There's lots of these. Especially on illegal file sharing sites where you download cracked versions of expensive, commerial software. Virtually a guarantee that if you install such software, it will also install some of the nastiest malware with it. Such as a keylogger, or back door. Adware actually falls under this catagory since most of it installs with other software you download from legal sites such as softonic.com and downloads.com. It's as annoying as all get out when it gets on your system, but at least it isn't dangerous. Though some of the ads generated by adware are outright fraudulent. Such as the plethora of scare tactic ads used by the makers of MacKeeper.

Worm - smarter than a virus. They can search out other computers on a network all on their own and attempt to infect the ones it finds. Only the very old, and long since patched against Oompa-Loompa (Leap-A) had any success in this category at all, and it didn't infect very many systems

Nov 14, 2017 6:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 14, 2017 6:22 PM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for the detailed explanation and thorough reply. Now that I see you write it.. It was MacKeeper that popped up and kept following me. So basically, as other members have said MacOS / High Sierra-10.13.1 will keep me safe. Only if I open/click on the wrong file will I be harmed... ??? will my mac help in this situation ?? such as a Trojan ?

Nov 14, 2017 6:22 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: MacGJ

Question: AVG scan , malware, virus, safe ? files were quarantined. PLEASE HELP