Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library taking up space on two drives

User uploaded file

I use an external hard drive to store my iPhoto library (the green part of the bar), but I see that "Photos" take up 44Gb of space on my mac's hard drive. Does anyone know why this is the case? I also store my photos to the cloud, is that duplicating files to my mac?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 12:46 PM

Is your external drive compatible with iCloud? An iCloud Photo Library can only be stored on a drive with the file system MacOS Extended (Journaled). Photos may have created the new Photos Library on your internal drive, if your external drive has a differnet file system, that cannot be used with Photos.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 12:46 PM in response to firebetty74

Is your external drive compatible with iCloud? An iCloud Photo Library can only be stored on a drive with the file system MacOS Extended (Journaled). Photos may have created the new Photos Library on your internal drive, if your external drive has a differnet file system, that cannot be used with Photos.

iPhoto library taking up space on two drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.