Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos or Image Capture won't load photos from iPhone

All of a sudden the Photos app on my Macbook Pro will not load photos from my iPhone. It recognizes the phone, and asks me to unlock it, but once I do shows no photos. Same for Image Capture - device is recognized, but no photos.

I tried a hard reset on my phone, and restarted my macbook at the same time. Tried a different charging cord. Nothing made a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 9:56 AM

Check the Settings > iCloud on your iPhone, if the update to iOS 11 enabled iCloud Photo Library with the option "Optimize Storage" flag enabled. It is on by default on iOS 11, but the iPhone will not alert you about it. Optimized photos may be stored only in iCloud and not be visible in the Import dialog on your Mac. You will only see photos in the import window on your Mac, if the photo has been downloaded from iCloud back to the device.

If Optimize is now on and you did not want to use it, disable it and wait for the photos to download back to the iPhone. View the photos enlarged on the iPhone to force the download.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 9:56 AM in response to steelechr

Check the Settings > iCloud on your iPhone, if the update to iOS 11 enabled iCloud Photo Library with the option "Optimize Storage" flag enabled. It is on by default on iOS 11, but the iPhone will not alert you about it. Optimized photos may be stored only in iCloud and not be visible in the Import dialog on your Mac. You will only see photos in the import window on your Mac, if the photo has been downloaded from iCloud back to the device.

If Optimize is now on and you did not want to use it, disable it and wait for the photos to download back to the iPhone. View the photos enlarged on the iPhone to force the download.

Photos or Image Capture won't load photos from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.