Related Article

Get help with iCloud Photos on your Windows PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: When i try to download photos from icloud all I get is desktop.ini

Yesterday I downloaded icloud photos to my pc and whatever else I was supposed to download. Today I needed to get a photo from icloud photos but when I click on "download photos" I get noting except a picture of a gear that says desktop.ini

When I click on that I get nothing. Why does this have to be so difficult. I have wasted hours on this!

iPad 2

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 15, 2017 1:21 AM in response to Allan Eckert In response to Allan Eckert

Yes, I "bothered to read" it - that's how I got here in the first place. If I can't get a simple answer to my question, just tell me how to cancel my subscription to iCloud. I can get a run-around for free just about everywhere.

Nov 15, 2017 1:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 8:18 AM in response to cherylfromlake stevens In response to cherylfromlake stevens

I was hoping that the section titled: How do I download all my photos and videos to my Windows PC? would provide a clue to what to expect when you try this.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on both your iPad and this PC? Note that I am assuming that you have the latest version of iCloud for Windows installed on your PC.

Nov 15, 2017 8:18 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 1:38 PM in response to Tesserax In response to Tesserax

Yes, I have iCloud Photo Library on both my iPad and this PC. All my photos are there on my iPad, but I cannot access them from my PC which is where I prefer to work with them because the screen is bigger and easier for me to see. I followed - I was sure - the directions for getting iCloud on my PC but still cannot access my photos - just get that .ini thing. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall?

Nov 15, 2017 1:38 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 1:41 PM in response to cherylfromlake stevens In response to cherylfromlake stevens

It would certainly be worth a try. I have seen a number of issues with iCloud Photo Library on Windows here so you're not alone with what you are experiencing. Hopefully the reinstall will solve this for you.

Nov 15, 2017 1:41 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: cherylfromlake stevens

Question: When i try to download photos from icloud all I get is desktop.ini