Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Range?

Is there a different range for wifi coverage between older and newer computers?

I have two MacBook Pro -retina laptops, one is a Mid 2012 the other is a Mid 2015.

The Mid 2012 will only pick-up one or two of my neighbors signals while the Mid 2015 picks-up eight or nine neighbors signals.

Both my computers are running macOS High Sierra v10.13.1. All the wifi signals require a password to login.

All neighbors houses are between 100 - 300 yards apart.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:14 PM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2017 2:44 PM in response to dinhr

Your router/modem determines the distance. They have different coverage areas.

FWIW, I would certainly hope that all of the Wifi signals you are picking up would require a password - it wouldn't be safe and someone could be accessing their computer while stealing from the ISP. (ISP's consider using their services theft if you do not have an account and aren't paying for it).

Nov 14, 2017 3:07 PM in response to babowa

All my computers and other devices are using the same router. I am getting different signals from each computer/device.

I wonder if there has been improvements in wifi and possibly giving newer machines better, stronger capabilities.

And yes, I do worry about someone accessing my computer/device. That is the reason I've posted this question.

Speeding on city streets is against the law but people do it anyway. Accessing someone else's computer is against the law but I fear people do it anyway, no matter the consequences.

WiFi Range?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.