Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Albums are in backup library and photos in Photos library

I don't know how this happened, but I have wound up with most of my photos in the default backup library (Default Library backup.photoslibrary) without most of my albums defined and my albums defined in the Photos library (Photos Library.photoslibrary) without any pictures in them. What is the best solution? Should I try and combine the photos from one into the other? I would like to keep the album designations, which took many hours to create. Suggestions appreciated.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:14 PM

Hi wizard_chef,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I can see that you report a behavior in which your pictures are suddenly located in the default Photos library folder on your Mac. I can understand that is certainly bothersome, but I will be glad to offer some suggestions today.
Recreating or organizing pictures and events is certainly a time consuming task, therefore I want to suggest that if you have a recent backup of your computer in a Time Machine Backup, you can try to restore to the latest copy of that information. Keep in mind that the backup you restore will have the information that you had in your computer at the time of such backup but not newer information.
For more info, please review this article:
How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
Also, you can locate in your previous backup just the Photos library file and attempt to restore that library file:
macOS Sierra: Restore items backed up with Time Machine
Otherwise if you don't have a backup of your information, you will need to re-import your files in your library.
Hope this information can help you.
Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 6:14 PM in response to wizard_chef

Hi wizard_chef,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I can see that you report a behavior in which your pictures are suddenly located in the default Photos library folder on your Mac. I can understand that is certainly bothersome, but I will be glad to offer some suggestions today.
Recreating or organizing pictures and events is certainly a time consuming task, therefore I want to suggest that if you have a recent backup of your computer in a Time Machine Backup, you can try to restore to the latest copy of that information. Keep in mind that the backup you restore will have the information that you had in your computer at the time of such backup but not newer information.
For more info, please review this article:
How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
Also, you can locate in your previous backup just the Photos library file and attempt to restore that library file:
macOS Sierra: Restore items backed up with Time Machine
Otherwise if you don't have a backup of your information, you will need to re-import your files in your library.
Hope this information can help you.
Regards.

Albums are in backup library and photos in Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.