Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install softwares on my HDXC drive and run it on my macbook?

Can I install software (like Ableton, Adobe Photoshop etc.) on my HDXC drive and run it on my MacBook?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:52 PM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2017 7:52 PM in response to ji.kerrie

Some applications are best run when installed on the internal hard drive; however, with some, it does not matter. So, as long as you have the drive formatted properly, there is no harm in trying. If yours is firewire and/or USB 2 though, it may be a bit of a frustrating experience because it'll be a lot slower, especially resource hungry ones.

FWIW, you are NOT running iOS on your device - so, which Mac OS are you running?

Nov 15, 2017 5:14 AM in response to babowa

Expanding on babowa's correct answer. If the program has an installer it almost certainly will install components on the computer's internal drive. The actual application may or may not be moveable to an external drive (and how much drive space you actually save is questionable). Photoshop must be run from the internal drive and is an example of a program that dumps ton's of helper files all over the system. Programs that are delivered in a disk image (they end in .dmg) may work after dragging them to an external drive.

For best performance, if your drive is small and getting full, the best things to put on an external drive or thumb drive are media files like music and video. Documents like word processing and spreadsheets are surprisingly small but if you have hundreds of them, in aggregate, they can take up a lot of space. But the folder in which I keep all my curriculum documents for my classes is much smaller than a single movie file.

Can I install softwares on my HDXC drive and run it on my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.