Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone uploading to iCloud photos that are already there and not displaying full iCloud Photo Library

Hi,

I have just gotten my new iPhone on the weekend.

I use iCloud Photo Library. I have uploaded all photos from my iMac and previous iPhone to the iCloud Photo Library.

When I sign in on iCloud.com I can see my full combined library (Approx 8596 photos and videos). Same on my iMac.

Once I have restored my iCloud back up to the new phone it has downloaded and displays only the photos that were on my previous iPhone, not the full library (including the photos and videos from my iMac). Approx 4300 items.

But now it is saying that is uploading those same 4300 items back to iCloud, which are already there because that's where they came from in the first place!

I'm not too sure if it's supposed to do that and also how to have the full iCloud photos library download to my new iPhone not just what was on my previous iPhone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:55 PM

Hi,

iCloud Photo Library was turned on the previous iPhone and I have seen it display the message that it's uploading.

The photos were also imported manually to the Photos app on the iMac. I do not know if those photos were uploaded to iCloud from the iPhone or the iMac. Possibly a combination of both.

I do not see any duplicates on the web app, iPhone or iMac so it must have some duplicate algorithm or that it knows that the same photos are already there?

Edit: Extra info.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 2:55 PM in response to zinacef

Hi,

iCloud Photo Library was turned on the previous iPhone and I have seen it display the message that it's uploading.

The photos were also imported manually to the Photos app on the iMac. I do not know if those photos were uploaded to iCloud from the iPhone or the iMac. Possibly a combination of both.

I do not see any duplicates on the web app, iPhone or iMac so it must have some duplicate algorithm or that it knows that the same photos are already there?

Edit: Extra info.

iPhone uploading to iCloud photos that are already there and not displaying full iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.