Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Frequent random haptic & chimes without alerts on watch series 3

I keep getting haptics with chimes but no alerts to go with them. Strangely, the frequency seems to increase through the day from perhaps once an hour to once every ten minutes. I get them even with Do Not Disturb on.

It's driving me crazy. Never had the problem on my iPhone. Genuine alerts appear as normal.

Any ideas?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.1

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Jonathan,

It seems the problem was caused by a bug in HeartWatch, fixed in the newly-available update.

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply - I've learned a great deal from it, regardless of the original problem!

David

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 2:21 PM in response to Haverty In response to Haverty

Hi

With Do Not Disturb enabled, your iPhone or Apple Watch (as appropriate, depending on device status and settings) will still notify you about incoming messages from any emergency contacts that you have added to Medical ID along with those for any contacts for whom you have enabled the Emergency Bypass option in the Contacts app (in the Contacts app on your iPhone, within their contact cards, under their Text Tone settings).

It may help to check your notifications settings for Messages on your iPhone (including the Show on Lock Screen setting and Repeat Alerts setting) and on your Apple Watch:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Notifications > Messages.
  • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Notifications > Messages.

If you have not yet done so, perhaps select Custom, rather than Mirror my iPhone.

Also check for any missed notifications in Notification Centre on your Apple Watch:

See and respond to notifications

The following steps may otherwise help (check after each):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 2:21 PM in response to Haverty In response to Haverty

Hi

With Do Not Disturb enabled, your iPhone or Apple Watch (as appropriate, depending on device status and settings) will still notify you about incoming messages from any emergency contacts that you have added to Medical ID along with those for any contacts for whom you have enabled the Emergency Bypass option in the Contacts app (in the Contacts app on your iPhone, within their contact cards, under their Text Tone settings).

It may help to check your notifications settings for Messages on your iPhone (including the Show on Lock Screen setting and Repeat Alerts setting) and on your Apple Watch:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Notifications > Messages.
  • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Notifications > Messages.

If you have not yet done so, perhaps select Custom, rather than Mirror my iPhone.

Also check for any missed notifications in Notification Centre on your Apple Watch:

See and respond to notifications

The following steps may otherwise help (check after each):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Nov 15, 2017 2:21 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 15, 2017 2:46 PM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan,

Thank you for a fantastically comprehensive and helpful reply. Not only have you advised me what to try, you've told me how to do it.

I haven't worked my way through your suggestions yet but will do so and let you know how I get on.

One thing that occurs to me is that I still get the phantom alerts on my watch when using my iPhone, when other alerts are confined to the phone, as if the problem is on the watch and has nothing to do with the phone or app. So I started thinking about watch apps and the one that stood out was HeartWatch. I uninstalled it an hour ago and there have been no phantom alerts since then.

I'll try and contact the HeartWatch developers to see if they have any advice and, either way, will update this tomorrow.

Nov 15, 2017 2:46 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Apple Recommended

Nov 16, 2017 1:16 AM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan,

It seems the problem was caused by a bug in HeartWatch, fixed in the newly-available update.

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply - I've learned a great deal from it, regardless of the original problem!

David

Nov 16, 2017 1:16 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Haverty

Question: Frequent random haptic & chimes without alerts on watch series 3