Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an Apple id include an apostrophe?

My apple id is an email address which contains an apostrophe.

It does not seem to work.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:34 PM

7 replies

Nov 14, 2017 3:13 PM in response to Juliengaonach

Juliengaonach wrote:

Thanks for your reply. What I found confusing is that I could not not download an app from the app store. It asks me to enter my password corresponding to an Apple id that is different from the original one, ie it replaces the apostrophe in the apple id with '

That is an apostrophe as far as computers are concerned - are you trying to use a 'curly quote' - User uploaded file ? That isn't likely to be acceptable.

Nov 15, 2017 12:20 AM in response to Juliengaonach

Juliengaonach wrote:

Yes that's right, it is called an apostrophe if I'm correct. Sorry in France it's called apostrophe so I guess it's the same in English.

That's correct - when it's in a word such as

User uploaded file

or

User uploaded file

it's an apostrophe, when it and its reverse enclose a word they're called

User uploaded file

The character set used for URLs follows the old typewriters which substituted the straight quote - ' - for all three, as on your keyboard. Many word processors automatically restore the curly versions.

Nov 14, 2017 2:46 PM in response to Juliengaonach

While I’ve never found anything written on Apple’s web site, there have been posts over the years that no, an apostrophe in the email address will not work as an AppleID. You can call Apple support and check if there is any kind of work around, but I doubt it.

While technically an apostrophe before the @ is a valid character, it can cause problems with numerous online services if used as a login or account ID.

Can you make an email alias linked to your real email address and then use that? If not, get a free gmail account and use that instead. You can even set up the gmail account to just forward mails to your other email account.

Can an Apple id include an apostrophe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.