Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I suppress the upgrade notification?

On Mac mini (macOS Sierra 10.12.6), the notification "Upgrade to macOS High Sierra" has come up.

I've read very bad things about upgrading to macOS High Sierra, and want to tell the notification to go away for (say) a week. Perhaps then the bugs will be straightened out.

How do I make that notification go away for a week?

null-OTHER, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Mac mini

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 3:44 PM

Is there a Snooze button? Click and hold to select a time to snooze.

Otherwise, clicking on the close button should make it go away permanently.

I've never seen the notification, so I'm not sure what options are available. I assume it is like any other.

I've read very bad things about upgrading to macOS High Sierra, and want to tell the notification to go away for (say) a week. Perhaps then the bugs will be straightened out.

What "bugs" have you been reading about that cause you concern?

I've installed it on a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro and haven't noticed any problems that affect me.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Alzr

Is there a Snooze button? Click and hold to select a time to snooze.

Otherwise, clicking on the close button should make it go away permanently.

I've never seen the notification, so I'm not sure what options are available. I assume it is like any other.

What "bugs" have you been reading about that cause you concern?

I've installed it on a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro and haven't noticed any problems that affect me.

Nov 14, 2017 7:43 PM in response to Alzr

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Nov 29, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Alzr

There is no longer a way to hide/dismiss the upgrade notification easily. Follow the suggestion to download the installer; when the download is finished and the installer window appears, dismiss that. The installer will remain in your Applications folder. I've been able to get rid of the notification by doing that - the background process of the app store scans your drive and realizes that you have the installer - it will stop nagging you. You can leave your installer there until you are ready to install it; another good idea is to copy it to an external drive for safekeeping so you'll have a copy if you need it.

Nov 29, 2017 9:55 AM in response to Lexiepex

Unfortunately, that will not stop the nagging about upgrading to HS - which will still happen automatically even if you have the auto download turned off. The only way I've found is to download it and simply ignore it after that. The app store continuously scans your hard drive (as well as any attached external drives) to make available any updates, etc - having the installer, it will recognize that and stop nagging.

How do I suppress the upgrade notification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.