Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't access Masters in finder after recent update

hi everyone.

i only just figured out how to find my masters from Photos recently, by right-clicking Photos Library and showing package contents, and then opening "Masters". This has worked until just recently, when I updated my software and also laboriously downloaded (one at a time because there's no select all photos on icloud for some reason 😐) a bunch of photos. I imported them in awkward chunks and I wanted to make sure they were in Masters before I erased them from my downloads folder.

when i search for specific photos using spotlight, they are still shown to be located in Masters:User uploaded file

unfortunately, when i go to Photos Library and show package contents, i get this:

User uploaded file

Originals is empty, and Pictures contains a few scrap photos from the beginning of the year.

What's up with this? any other way to get in to Photos Library > Masters?
My photos are still there (in Photos), but they don't seem to be there.

MacBook Air, iOS 11.1, my os actually says 10.11.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 9:40 PM

Your second screen capture shows you are looking into "Photo Booth Library", not "Photos Library" as in your first capture.

By the way, you do know that you have to be VERY careful not to make ANY changes while poking around in the package contents of a Photos library, right? It's safer to avoid the poking around altogether.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 9:40 PM in response to filthyratbaby

Your second screen capture shows you are looking into "Photo Booth Library", not "Photos Library" as in your first capture.

By the way, you do know that you have to be VERY careful not to make ANY changes while poking around in the package contents of a Photos library, right? It's safer to avoid the poking around altogether.

Nov 15, 2017 2:14 AM in response to filthyratbaby

If you want to check, if your original image files have been downloaded to the Masters folder in your Photos Library you could use the free trial version of PowerPhotos. It is essentially a second browser for your Photos Library. I can show your photos sorted as thumbnails in a grid view or in a list view with selected metadata. And you can ctrl click a photo and use "Reveal in Finder". https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

You can also use PowerPhotos to merge libraries or search for duplicates, but the advanced features require a purchase.

can't access Masters in finder after recent update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.