Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Are In App Purchases Not Included in Family Sharing?

So I’ve purchased the app Heads Up on our iPhones. I have Family Sharing I am the organizer, for my family of 3. I’ve purchased 99 cents each, several “decks” as in app purchases. I couldn’t get my other family members to get the decks “free” since I paid for them and thought since we have Family Sharing they should. So I contacted Heads Up they said “Apple won’t allow in app purchases to be thru Family Sharing”. Is this true? If it is that is ridiculous why wouldn’t this be considered part of Family Sharing? Thank you

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Late 2012 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 11:49 PM

It is true, they are listed on this page as not being shareable : What types of content can I share with Family Sharing? - Apple Support

As to why, you will have to ask Apple, as far as I know they haven't said (but presumably it's what the developers wanted).

3 replies

Nov 15, 2017 6:42 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for your reply and link. They (as in developer and Apple) are passing the buck..each stating it was what the other one wants....(see pasted conversation below). meanwhile Family Sharing is not truly or rather entirely free for up to six as advertised/promised!!

Thanks again

See..

That's correct. Apple allows the sharing of apps that are paid, but not purchases made within the apps themselves. Here's a little bit of info on that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Why Are In App Purchases Not Included in Family Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.