Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop with complete keyboard control?

Hi, is this possible? I'm thinking not, but that seems like a pretty important accessibility option.

I am not looking to copy and paste files. I am looking for keyboard control to drag windows, files or other items. I would like to navigate to a window, file or other item, "lock" it in with a keyboard shortcut, and use the keyboard to move it to its new location, then release it in a "drag and drop."

As an alternative, locking the file in with the keyboard and navigating over with the trackpad might work although it's not preferred.

In researching this, tonight I discovered the two-finger tap, but it seems to work intermittently and I cannot replicate it. Not sure if that's a system issue or my just not knowing how to do it properly.

Background info:

The reason for this is to minimize carpal tunnel. Having a USB keyboard down lower than the laptop, which is sitting on the desk at eye level, helps somewhat. But I am working in some editing programs that still require a certain amount of mouse control, dragging and so on. The motion is starting to wear on my wrists, and it's also problematic to reach up a bit to access the trackpad.

There is not room in my keyboard drawer for the Wacom tablet, so for the time being I do have a trackpad, but it's a hassle and I'd like to eliminate as much use of it as possible.

Appreciate suggestions, thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 10:15 AM

It's right in the article i cited:

• Click a mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press 5 on the keypad. With the keyboard: Press I.
  • Press and hold the mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press 0 (zero) on the keypad. With the keyboard: Press M.
  • Release the mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press “.” (period) on the keypad.With the keyboard: Press “.” (period).
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 10:15 AM in response to Editgrrl1

It's right in the article i cited:

• Click a mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press 5 on the keypad. With the keyboard: Press I.
  • Press and hold the mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press 0 (zero) on the keypad. With the keyboard: Press M.
  • Release the mouse button:With a numeric keypad: Press “.” (period) on the keypad.With the keyboard: Press “.” (period).

Drag and drop with complete keyboard control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.