Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie-adding music to a project

I am a first time iMovies user and I have taught myself through the majority of the process. I've uploaded all my clips to my first project and am ready to add music and when I try it tells me my "computer is not authorized to play this content." I have purchased & downloaded the particular song. When it tells me to authorize my computer and I enter the iTunes password to do so it tells me my computer already is authorized. I've googled this issue all over and the only real solution I have found was someone suggesting I burn the song to a CD and then re-upload it to the computer. Problem with that is I have a MAC and no CD-rom. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 7:55 PM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2017 10:51 AM in response to geauxmetal

Greetings geauxmetal,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you are being prompted by iTunes to authorize the computer. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. Since it is saying it is already authorized, I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

Remove the SC Info folder

To work properly, iTunes needs the SC Info folder on your computer. You can authorize your computer to play your purchases if you remove the folder. Then, let iTunes recreate it.

Remove the SC Info folder in Mac OS X

1. Quit iTunes and any other open applications until only Finder is open.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. In the window, enter
    /Users/Shared/SC Info
    , then click Go.
  4. If Finder isn't already set to column view, set it. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose View > as Columns.
  5. Find the SC Info folder. Click and hold it, and drag it to the trash.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Open iTunes.
  8. Authorize your computer. If you have multiple accounts or Apple IDs, authorize your computer for each account.

If iTunes prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play iTunes Store purchases

Take care.

Nov 23, 2017 1:15 PM in response to geauxmetal

Hey geauxmetal,

Thanks for the update. Is it giving you this error when you try to play the song on its own when you do not try to import it to iMovie? Is this happening with all music or only a few songs? Since you said you purchased the music and when you use your Apple ID it says it is already authorized, and it is giving you this error when you are trying to add the music to iMovie, one thing you can do is look at iMovie.

2. Ensure iMovie is up to date

If you're actively working on a project, avoid updating or upgrading iMovie until you are finished with the project. Either complete the project in the version of iMovie you are currently working in, or make sure that you have a current backup of your events, projects, and iMovie. Having a back up ensures that your data and the application are unaffected if updating or upgrading to the latest version of iMovie doesn't address your issue.

Mac App Store: Update applications

5. Isolate an issue by using another user account

For more information see how to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

6. Create a new library

You can isolate issues with libraries by creating a new, empty library when opening iMovie. This demonstrates that iMovie is working as expected with a new library. Then, you can open and close your libraries one at a time until you can to reproduce the issue and identify an affected library.

To create a new library, first quit iMovie. Then, option-click the iMovie application icon in the Dock and click New to create a new library.

Get help with iMovie

Cheers.

Nov 23, 2017 6:56 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden-first of all, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my previous question. I followed the directions you gave me and it is still telling me the same thing. When I go to drag the song from my Itunes/music folder into my project is says "This computer is not authorized to play *name of song*".....it then gives me the link to open iTunes and authorize the computer. When I do, it says its already authorized.

I opened the SC Info folder like you instructed in your previous reply and when I changed it to columns, it showed an empty folder. I still dragged the folder to trash, restarted and double checked to make sure my computer was still authorized (it was) and tried again and it did the same thing as before.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Imovie-adding music to a project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.