Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos will not play videos from iPhone X

Running the latest Photos (3.0) on a Mac Pro (mid-2010) and macOS 10.13.1.

Just picked up an iPhone X. Tried recording some video. Connected phone to Mac and imported the video clip.

It imports into Photos. A length is shown along with a thumbnail. Photos "get info" will show it as a video file recorded on an iPhone X.

It will not play the video because "it uses an unsupported format." The error dialog has a "more info" button which brings me to an Apple help page on HEVC and HEIF media. No mention on that page of iPhone X (only iPhone mentioned is the 7).

No solution offered - according to that page, "Support for HEIF and HEVC is built into iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, letting you work with this media in a variety of apps, including Photos and QuickTime Player."

Photos will not let me drag the file to the desktop. I get an error 1,012.

After trial and error, I found I could export the file "as original." Once that's done, the file opens up and plays fine in Quicktime player. So the problem is not with the files - it is with Photos.

If this a known problem? Are there any fixes or workarounds? (Aside from setting the phone camera to "more compatible.") According to Apple, these files should be accessible in Photos on Mac.

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 9:08 PM

There are no replies.

Photos will not play videos from iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.