Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch & Tattoo

Is there a work around to get Apple Watch to work with wrist tattoo?

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 1:59 AM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2017 2:36 AM in response to Mitch083

Hi

The ink, pattern and/or saturation of some wrist tattoos can prevent the Wrist Detection feature on Apple Watch from working.

It may help to wear your Apple Watch a little higher up or lower down your arm.

It may otherwise help to wear your Apple Watch on your other wrist. Even if you also have a sleeve tattoo on your other arm, it may still be worthwhile testing this. The nature of that tattoo may vary sufficiently to allow expected operation on your other wrist. To change the configuration of your Apple Watch accordingly:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

Otherwise, whilst turning off Wrist Detection and passcode would avoid undesired locking of your Apple Watch, you would no longer be able to benefit from features including using Apple Pay, earning Stand credit and the convenience of a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

If you would prefer to have your Apple Watch checked for any potential hardware issue, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider with a view to arranging that:

More information:

Wearing Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Nov 15, 2017 6:49 AM in response to Mitch083

As I hoped to explain in my previous reply, turning off Wrist Detection would enable you to use your Apple Watch without it locking all the time - which would otherwise happen, with Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, if your tattoo is preventing your Apple Watch from recognising when it is being worn.

There is no workaround for enjoying exactly the same functionality as if your tattoo was not affecting sensor performance.

Apple Watch & Tattoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.