Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is any wattage USB-C Apple Adapter compatible with USB-C charging on iPhone 8 Plus?

I am currently using a 29W. I was told any of the Apple USB-C Charging Adapters is acceptable. I was not aware of this. I wanted to make sure by creating a discussion.

Are the 61W & 87W compatible as long as you get a USB-C to lightning cable?

I am using an iPhone 8 Plus 256GB.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 2:27 AM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2017 6:16 AM in response to jaymister26

Amps work the opposite of volts. Plug a 110 device into a 220 circuit and you will destroy the device because the circuit is always pushing 220, regardless of what the device wants/uses/ needs. OTOH, amps are drawn by what the device wants/uses/needs. Plug a 100 watt (~1 amp) light bulb into a 15 amp circuit (common in most U.S. homes) and you still only have a 100 watt bulb because that is all the bulb draws.

Another way to look at it is a plumbing example. The water pressure in your home's plumbing is always the same (pushing). But you can open a faucet just a little to draw 1/2 gallon a minute or open it full to draw 3 gallons a minute.

Is any wattage USB-C Apple Adapter compatible with USB-C charging on iPhone 8 Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.