Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to permanently remove website databases that's tracking your browser

How can I permanently delete/remove website databases that're tracking my browser in Safari? When I try to remove and clear the websites that have stored data used to track my browsing history, there are a few "databases" that I simply can't get rid of. Please help!!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 2:49 AM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2017 4:45 AM in response to CarolineRose74

Log out of these sites if you are logged into.

Note: Shopping and notification sites

Empty the shopping cart/ bag.

Log out of the account.

Delete Databases and Local Storage items

Backup your Mac.

Quit Safari.

Hold the Option key on the keyboard down and click the “Go”menu in the Finder menu bar.

Choose “Library” from the dropdown.

Scroll down the list.

Click open the Safari folder.

Scroll down the list and click open the “Databases” folder.

Click open the “IndexedDB folder”.

If you find the items there, right click and choose “Move to Trash”

or select all and move to Trash.

Scroll down the list and click open the “Local Storage” folder

Right click the items you want to remove and choose “Move to Trash”.

Restart your Mac, launch Safari holding the shift key on the keyboard down and test.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 1:14 PM in response to CarolineRose74

I have the same problem, I would like to have website data removed when I press that "manage website date" --> "remove all" button.

I followed Dominic23 instructions but when I re checked in Safari ->Preferences->Privacy->manage website data.

All the data was still there like Eric Root mentioned in his post. This makes the "remove all" button a do nothing vapour ware feature. I'm ****** that the OS is so complex that the simple user like me can't clean it up with the soft buttons provided.

How to permanently remove website databases that's tracking your browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.