Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to completely disable my discrete card?

This card is draining my battery just because I use google chrome. This issue completely ruined my daily life in the past year and I'm now willing to disconnect physically the card or edit the kernel. I'm approaching the 600 cycles counts within a year and I never exceed 3h. The computer has been replaced through apple care and no changes.

I'm using the macbook pro 2016 w/ Radeon Pro 450 2 GB.

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 7:04 AM

So... like the day after I wrote my things, this came up on another post:

User uploaded file

Credits to chase_daniel.

11 replies

Nov 15, 2017 2:36 PM in response to tjk

At this point, gfx basically tells you what graphics card the computer is using, discrete or integrated. Since Apple added the option to turn off the automated graphics switching I assume that system function overrides the functions provided by gfx now.

Also I don't think it's possible (or wise) to disable the discrete card permanently. The computer itself was designed to turn it on when it needs to because the integrated gpu isn't designed to do these high power things. (Then of course, Chrome isn't doing anything high powered but has decided it just wants the gpu for no reason...that's chrome for ya.)

Also you can't physically remove the card because its soldered into the logic board like everything else on the computer if you don't want the gpu, you'll have to remove the logic board entirely and thus you wasted $2k+, depending on when you bought it.

Nov 15, 2017 2:41 PM in response to archieny

pardon my boilerplate, but it contains the solution you seek:

The issue with these dual-graphics Macs (mainly, but not exclusively 2011 and later) is the discrete graphics chips fail. The Integrated graphics chip may still be working fine. If you do intensive graphics work, you need to look for a new(er) computer.

Install gfxCardStatus (https://gfx.io) and set it to "i" (integrated graphics only). It will allow your MBP to run on integrated graphics only, bypassing the discrete GPU which has the issues. Your MBP may run normally, although it will have reduced graphics performance when permforming demanding graphics tasks. The alternative is replacing the logic board, which is not cost effective on a machine that old, unless gfxcardstatus does not resolve the issue and you really want to keep this MBP.

There is an acknowledged bug in the current version of Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus, and the developer has confessed he does not have time to fix it right now.

--------

There is a fork off the main build by steveschow available that seems to fix that problem for current versions of MacOS such as ElCapitan and Sierra. He provides a finished .app for direct download -- you do not have to compile anything.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

Also note that if your Mac does not run long enough to allow gfxcardstatus to be added, this is not really practical.

--------

In addition, Steve Schow writes that he has abandoned further development -- because there are better solutions available [for both the 2010 model and 2011 models]. In particular, the use of Arch Linux bootable CD to gain access to and re-write the EFI on the drive, and removing the Drivers to permanently disable the discrete graphics chip. This page and scroll down past the list to the blog:

Releases · steveschow/gfxCardStatus · GitHub

there are two similar procedure listed. I used the second from MacRumors as it seemed easier. I have made the Arch Linux bootable CD on another Mac, and tried this approach. I now have a perfectly-functioning MacBook Pro late 2011 15-in model with Discrete Graphics disabled. Runs just fine.

Nov 15, 2017 8:44 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes, thank you for your answer. In a perfect world I'd love a 15" inch Macbook but it doesn't exist. It's enough power for me. I'm using google chrome for Front-end development and I can't get familiar with the inspect element of Safari. The high performance card issue is also happening with Photoshop when I only browse between layers. Apparently this integrated card isn't as powerful as the previous Intel Iris Pro

How to completely disable my discrete card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.