Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New at Numbers

Hi!

Got a problem in Numbers. When I `am creating a easy formula like =3000 x 2 I got an syntax error, because as soon as I press the returbutton the formula change to =3000 x+ 2...

Why does it do that?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 3:43 AM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2017 10:32 PM in response to mlindborg

Hi m'

Are you perhaps clicking on a cell containing the 2 when creating the formula?

With the keystrokes and mouse actions described below the table, I get this result:

User uploaded file

Actions:

Click A1. Type 3000 tab

(in B1) Type 2 tab

(in C1)Press =,

(in formula editor) click A1, type spacexspace, click B1 (x is a lower case letter x, not the multiplication symbol)

Note the + sign. Numbers inserts this default addition operator if you have entered two cell addresses without a separator ( , or ; depending on region) or a different operator ( eg. -, *, / ) between them.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 15, 2017 7:31 AM in response to mlindborg

It doesn't do that. There must be something in the way you are physically entering the formula that is introducing an extra character.

Note that if you want multiplication you should enter it as

= (to bring up the formula edit)

followed by

3000*2

Note that for multiplication you use * instead of x. Numbers will then take the * you entered and display it as a multiplication symbol.

SG

Nov 16, 2017 10:43 AM in response to mlindborg

posting a screenshot of the cell in question always helps. double click the cell with the error, then type the key combination:

<command> + <shift> + 4

the cursor will change to a cross-hair. click and hold to in one corner of the are you want to show then draw to the opposite corner, then release

the screenshot will be placed on the desktop.

click the camera in the toolbar of this forum, then add the picture

New at Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.