Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I'm in the middle of a laborious task of deleting photos and doing a general get-rid-of-crap off my phone/ipad/mac.

I'm on my mac and deleting TONS of photos that I want to be removed from ALL my Apple products. The problem is that when I delete it from my mac, they reappear from my phone or iPad. How do I prevent that?

MacBook

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:48 AM

But, if I turn off the Photo Stream, it will delete all Photo Stream Photos from my iphone.

Then please clarify:

iCloud photo library set up and photostream for all devices

On your iPhone and iPad - is iCloud Photo Library enabled as well or only "My Photo Stream"?

I read your comment as "On all devices are iCloud photo library and photostream enabled".

Or die you mean, that only the Mac is using iCloud Photo, but not the other devices?

You can turn off My Photo Stream on all devices, where iCloud Photo Library is enabled, because the My Photo Stream photos will be added to iCloud Photo Library automatically.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 6:48 AM in response to bigalwood

But, if I turn off the Photo Stream, it will delete all Photo Stream Photos from my iphone.

Then please clarify:

iCloud photo library set up and photostream for all devices

On your iPhone and iPad - is iCloud Photo Library enabled as well or only "My Photo Stream"?

I read your comment as "On all devices are iCloud photo library and photostream enabled".

Or die you mean, that only the Mac is using iCloud Photo, but not the other devices?

You can turn off My Photo Stream on all devices, where iCloud Photo Library is enabled, because the My Photo Stream photos will be added to iCloud Photo Library automatically.

Nov 15, 2017 6:07 AM in response to LarryHN

Ugh....I should have remembered to do that.

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1 - iCloud photo library set up and photostream for all devices

iPhone iOS 11.1.1 - iCloud photo library enabled, with optimize iPhone storage turned on

iPad iOS 11.1.1 - ditto for iPad

I am just going thru, either on my mac or phone, and hitting delete. I have NOT deleted them from the deleted photos file as of yet on my phone or iPad. Didn't think there was a deleted photo file on my mac.

Nov 15, 2017 6:36 AM in response to bigalwood

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1 - iCloud photo library set up and photostream for all devices

You need only one method to sync photos between devices. If iCloud Photo Library is on, don't enable My Photo stream as well. It can stream deleted photos back to the devices.

I have NOT deleted them from the deleted photos file as of yet on my phone or iPad. Didn't think there was a deleted photo file on my mac.

You mean the "Recently Deleted album"? You will see it on any device that can use iCloud Photo Library in Photos. If Recently deleted is emptied on one device, it will be deleted on all devices syncing with iCloud Photo Library.

Better do not let "Recently Deleted" become too full on your iPad and iPhone. I once had 10000 photos in this album and a really hard time to empty it. The iPhone crashed whenever I tried to empty "Recently deleted". Since then, I try to empty it as soon as more than 100 photos are in the album. This makes it easier to spot photos that have erroneously been moved there and that I want to recover.

Nov 15, 2017 6:40 AM in response to léonie

Okay.....now I'm confused.

I want to see the photos I took on my phone across all products. But, if I turn off the Photo Stream, it will delete all Photo Stream Photos from my iphone.

If I turn off the photo library - photos that haven't been downloaded (and this sometimes NEVER happens for some reason) will be removed from the phone.

So.....help me understand which option should be turned on if I want my photos from my phone to appear on my iPad and my mac.

Nov 15, 2017 6:57 AM in response to bigalwood

I should only have ONE option on all devices turned on.....but which one?

if you want all devices to show exactly the same photos and videos, keep iCloud Photo Library enabled and turn My Photo stream off. That will keep the all devices perfectly in sync. Potos you delete on one device will automatically be deleted on other devices. And iCloud Photo Library will sync your videos and Live Photos as well. My Photo stream cannot do that.

But with iCloud Photo Library enabled on an iPhone or iPad you should try to keep the Photos Library small and weed out poor photos or duplicates, unless you have a to of free storage on the iPhone or iPad. Even with "Optimize Storage" on you will need at least 10% of the size of the library in iCloud locally on the devices.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.