Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: how do I reboot my computer?

My laptop won't reboot at all since I switched to High Sierra. It stays frozen. I can only get into the guest account.

How do I fix this? I am willing to completely lose all of my info on the computer to completely restart my computer fresh.

I've done it before but cannot seem to remember how to do it.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 1:21 PM in response to astrophee In response to astrophee

Shutdown by holding the power button for 15 seconds. Then boot into Recovery Mode (command-r) and reinstall Mac OS. This should be a install "in place" and shouldn't affect your data. That said, you should always have a backup.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 1:21 PM in response to astrophee In response to astrophee

Shutdown by holding the power button for 15 seconds. Then boot into Recovery Mode (command-r) and reinstall Mac OS. This should be a install "in place" and shouldn't affect your data. That said, you should always have a backup.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Nov 15, 2017 1:21 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 17, 2017 8:25 PM in response to macjack In response to macjack

Thanks for the recovery mode info. None of the options worked sadly. wouldn't allow me to do anything but erase and start all over. O well. I have a clean computer!

It is ultra frigging slow in High Sierra though. And also crashes a lot.

Nov 17, 2017 8:25 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 6:03 AM in response to astrophee In response to astrophee

Please download and run EtreCheck, created by one of own helpers here in ASC. It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

Nov 18, 2017 6:03 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: astrophee

Question: how do I reboot my computer?