Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts not displaying properly in High Sierra

Since I upgraded to High Sierra, files produced in a non-Apple music-transcription application that previously had font information embedded in them now display the wrong fonts, font sizes, etc. Is anyone else having the same problem?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:41 AM

6 replies

Nov 17, 2017 7:24 AM in response to Don H.

In hope that Apple system developers monitor these forums, here are more details. The music transcription program I am using is Harmony Assistant by Myriad. It can be downloaded at: http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?prod=HA&lang=EN The program produces files that include imbedded information about the fonts and formatting to be used in printing the sheet music. Here is an example of the output before upgrading to High Sierra:

User uploaded file

And here is the same file output after upgrading to High Sierra:

User uploaded file

What is additionally bizarre is that this program has menubars (called palettes) with various music notation tools. Some of these tools are images but a few have lettering or numbers. The "Part, Jump, and Target Tools" is an example. When the program starts, the tools with fonts for lettering or numbers display with gigantic fonts. Yet if I simply roll the cursor arrow over those tools, the fonts return to normal. Then if I click the cursor anywhere else in the screen, the fonts instantly revert to gigantic.

I know Apple is not responsible for upgrading the apps of other developers, to make them compatible with High Sierra. Nevertheless, it does seem that Apple is responsible for providing sufficient guidance to app developers so they can adapt their apps to High Sierra. It appears those instructions are either insufficient -- or Apple has some severe bugs in High Sierra that need fixing. Moreover, if this bizarre font behavior is a result of interactions with the graphics boards used in iMacs like mine (late-2013 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB), then again it seems Apple has a responsibility to fix High Sierra so that it works with its own iMacs -- or to caution those with older iMacs not to upgrade to the latest OS.

We all count on Apple to do the right thing. Now is such a time.

Nov 17, 2017 7:35 AM in response to Don H.

Don H. wrote:

I know Apple is not responsible for upgrading the apps of other developers, to make them compatible with High Sierra.

Correct.

Nevertheless, it does seem that Apple is responsible for providing sufficient guidance to app developers so they can adapt their apps to High Sierra.

Which they do. Developer versions and documentation are available for months before a release of a new OS version. However Apple can not force developers to take advantage of it. Nor can they force them to update their software.

As a rule Apple does not monitor these forums. You can send feedback here.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Fonts not displaying properly in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.