Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing AVI files from SD card in the field on iPhone

Setup:

Cameras in the field (no high speed cellular access for cloud storage) that record short video clips and save as AVI format (no ability to change the codec).

I bought the Apple SD card reader and it will allow me to import.

I've researched and found some apps that do AVI to MPEG conversion but can't figure out how to do it locally on the iphone.

ie: If I could setup a folder with the new ios11 files capability and then point an AVI to MPEG "app" to that folder to do the conversion would be nice.

Now I'm having to bring the SD cards home or take the Mac in the field (not preferred when my iPhone is with me), load the files, and play back with VLC.

I found the VLC app but it doesn't seem to be able to play the files from the local "files" folder on iOS assuming I could figure out how to load them in the local "files" storage from the SD card using the apple card reader.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

I wish the cameras would just save in MPEG.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1, IPhone

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 9:05 AM

Hi. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Get the FileExplorer Pro app from the app store. Unlike the Files app, FileExplorer lets you create folders in local storage within the app.

I assume your SD card videos are being loaded into Photos. Go to Photos and share (copy) them to FileExplorer.

See if FileExplorer can play them.

Like you, I cannot find a way to get files into VLC without moving them to a server.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 9:05 AM in response to rodunn

Hi. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Get the FileExplorer Pro app from the app store. Unlike the Files app, FileExplorer lets you create folders in local storage within the app.

I assume your SD card videos are being loaded into Photos. Go to Photos and share (copy) them to FileExplorer.

See if FileExplorer can play them.

Like you, I cannot find a way to get files into VLC without moving them to a server.

Nov 20, 2017 9:12 AM in response to rodunn

My friend used i-Easy Drive app in combination with a

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MOULTRIE-SMART-PHONE-SD-CARD-READER/2571898.uts?p roductVariantId=5393392&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=049336 82&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi7TllszN1wIVnoSzCh25qQtlEAQYASABEgJg9fD_BwE&gclsrc=a w.ds

and he could watch the AVI files directly when viewing what was on the SD card. Then when selecting them to save in iPhoto it appears they are being converted to MPEG as iPhoto can then play them natively after import. That's nice in that you don't have to import all then go through them to decide what to keep. He actually views and selects only the ones he wants to keep when importing to iPhoto.

It would seem Apple would allow a preview approach of the videos/pictures on the SD card with it's own adapter (including AVI encoded videos) to make it easier for the user.

Managing AVI files from SD card in the field on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.