Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Field test mode not working with ios11

This is for those of you wondering why field test mode does not work on your phones w/ ios 11. I have an SE and when I updated to ios 11, could not set up field test mode that I have been using for a long time. It turns out that there is a problem with iphones that have a Qualcomm chipset (ie Verizon and Sprint Phones). Here is the article I found that explains the problem https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/field-test-mode I do hope that Apple finds some way to fix this problem.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 17, 2017 1:22 PM in response to jasonsele In response to jasonsele

Ok, i watched vid and my screens show differently. Serving Cell Measurements page come up totally different than on the vid. He is also on T-Mobile which does make a difference as I am on Verizon. Bottom line is the inability to switch to field strength mode so it shows field strength instead of bars which I never had a problem with before updating to 11. I have also left feedback for Apple on this. Thanks, though, for the info.

Nov 17, 2017 1:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 1:45 PM in response to anypats In response to anypats

Now I am really confused. How could it be a hack when anyone previosly could access this function no matter what phone (iphone or android) was being used. I wish I had not updated for this and other reasons. And it turns out that I am far from being the only one who wants to downgrade back to 10.3.3 and can't because Apple no longer signs that ipsw version. I am not a happy camper.

Nov 17, 2017 1:45 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 2:03 PM in response to elfinmt In response to elfinmt

elfinmt wrote:

Now I am really confused. How could it be a hack when anyone previosly could access this function no matter what phone (iphone or android) was being used.

It's a "hack" because it's using the software in a way that Apple didn't intend. You could also call it "unsupported".

I am not a happy camper.

Let Apple know here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 17, 2017 2:03 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 2:13 PM in response to IdrisSeabright In response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

It's a "hack" because it's using the software in a way that Apple didn't intend. You could also call it "unsupported".

Not just Apple. It was included so carriers could perform tests on their network (hence "field test mode"). Neither Apple nor carriers ever intended end users to make use of it, or even be aware of it. It just sort of leaked out. Who in their right mind would enter an absurd string of characters into their phone and press Send?

And the fact is that no one really wants field test mode; they want the signal strength in DBm to be displayed instead of dots (or bars). All of the other neat features of field test mode are ignored, except by carrier technicians (and those features are still available in field test mode). So in submitting feedback that is what you should ask for; it could be added to one of the settings.

Puts me in mind of another absurd string of characters that was never intended to be used by end users: CTRL+ALT+DEL. It originated with OS programmers who wanted a way to get into debug mode in MS-DOS. They figured it was a combination that no one in their right mind would ever try.

Nov 17, 2017 2:13 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 17, 2017 2:22 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

In twenty years in the biz, I never really had reason to use those features. Ninety-nine percent of issues didn't require it. The ones that did, well, we swapped out the phones and let CTDI deal with the defective ones.

Nov 17, 2017 2:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 2:29 PM in response to elfinmt In response to elfinmt

elfinmt wrote:

I live in a rural area and while coverage is generally good, there are still a lot of fringe cell areas and knowing actual signal strength can be very helpful especially in a potential emergency situation.

Sorry, I was referring to all of those other features in Field Test Lawrence was talking about.

Nov 17, 2017 2:29 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: elfinmt

Question: Field test mode not working with ios11