Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: help with apfs boot

I changed to apfs this morning and when I boot I get a circle with a line through it any way to fix I have important files on there.

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Then your data is most likely gone for good. You should not attempt to format a rotational hard drive as apfs. ESPECIALLY your boot drive.

Use recovery mode to try and reinstall macOS. If you can't get it bootable by reinstalling over itself, you're going to have to reformat the drive and re-install macOS from scratch.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 15, 2017 8:21 AM in response to RylesMp In response to RylesMp

I hope you have a backup...

How did you "change" to apfs? What kind of drive is it? (SSD, rotational hard drive, fusion drive? internal or external?)

When you upgrade to High Sierra, if you have a compatible SSD, it will automatically be updated to apfs. You should NOT manually attempt to convert a boot drive to apfs.

Nov 15, 2017 8:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 8:26 AM in response to RylesMp In response to RylesMp

I did not know it was automatic and manually did it is there anyway to restore my files even if it gets rid of programs

Nov 15, 2017 8:26 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Nov 16, 2017 7:17 AM in response to RylesMp In response to RylesMp

Then your data is most likely gone for good. You should not attempt to format a rotational hard drive as apfs. ESPECIALLY your boot drive.

Use recovery mode to try and reinstall macOS. If you can't get it bootable by reinstalling over itself, you're going to have to reformat the drive and re-install macOS from scratch.

Nov 16, 2017 7:17 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: RylesMp

Question: help with apfs boot