Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 sound output stuck on Airplay

I used my MPB (2016) with my Apple TV a day or two ago. Today I discovered I could get no sound from my desktop sound system. System Preferences —> shows my sound output set to Apple TV (AirPlay), and offers no other choices. (See screen shot.) I've punched the volume controls, mute/unmute ... nothing seems to work. I restarted the machine, but no joy. Suggestions?

I run High Sierra (10.13.1)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 2:00 PM

Okay ... problem solved, thanks to "James" at Apple Support. James had me reset the SMC and something else. The fix involved holding down so many keys that I thought I'd need a third hand. But it's all good now.

2 replies

Nov 15, 2017 8:17 PM in response to Lucas1948

Update: I've been scouring the Communities and other sources for help, and so far nothing is working. I've restarted my machine several times. I've checked my Bluetooth settings—the only devices connected are my mouse and keyboard. I reconnected the MacBook Pro to my Apple TV and saw that mirroring is still active. Maybe that's the problem: I hadn't completely turned off the AirPlay/Mirroring, so I turned all that off in the Apple TV menu. Alas, that didn't help either. The Sound icon on the menu bar is grayed out, and I can't find anything else to look for in System Preferences.

Anyone ... ? I'll be most grateful for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 2016 sound output stuck on Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.