Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS High Sierra Mail Preferences Window Cannot Maximize (No Green Button). Help?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 7:45 AM

41 replies

Dec 3, 2017 8:13 AM in response to recovery1994

Well here we are 48 hours later:I've had no answer, and done nothing other than delete all signatures, since there was a suggestion that they could have a bearing on it all, and suddenly, all is back to normal ….

I have, therefore, begun to test by gradually restoring the signatures to see what happens. The only one I had which was more than a few characters was the dreaded official disclaimer which we’re all now forced to append to any business email - I’ll leave that till last!

Dec 3, 2017 3:41 PM in response to AppleUsr12

Yes, deleted all, closed out Mail.app and rebooted, and on relaunch, all returned to normal. (Still no green button, though, but no need, as the splash screen is the size it has always been .....)

Just repeated with my MBP, and same result!

The signatures in question have been unchanged for at least five years, so I can only assume it's a bug in 10.13.1, although it could have been an issue previously - I don't often open Mail preferences, and it was only because I was adding an address that I stumbled across it.

Jan 13, 2018 4:55 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

WRONG! I just tested this on a Mac running Sierra, and the Mail Preferences window CAN INDEED be resized, as was true for all previous versions of macOS/OS-X as well. Apple DISABLED this capability in High Sierra for no (known) good reason. This makes it extremely difficult to view items like "Signatures" the way they will look in an e-mail. Once again, Apple gets STUCK ON STUPID.

Jan 15, 2018 8:59 AM in response to AppleUsr12

This is very frustrating to me as well Apple did this with Disk Utility for a Yosemite I think it was and thankfully that has been changed back to allow users to resize. I don't know what they they think the benefit is of not letting the user adjust the size, all the accounts are cut off and it makes it difficult to see what I need to see with plug-ins.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.