Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why High Sierra is changing the link-local IPv6 address and how to disable this?

I would like to know what is the reason to generate a different link-local address (fe80::) at every boot?

The change of IPv6 address is related to security and tries to avoid tracking. But the link-local address is to be used inside a broadcast domain. They are not routed!

I'm trying to configure some scripts to do backups using a MacBook as server but I can't. I just need that this system keeps the very useful IPv6 feature of generate a link-local address based on mac address but is looking like Apple is not following RFCs. How can I use an address that changes all the time?

Ok, if Apple judge that random address is more secure, she could at least permit users choose to use this way or not.

IPv6 link-local address based on EUI-64 is a way of establish a local network without any configuration. And OSX High Sierra doesn't permit this.

I appreciate any help.

🙂

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 8:52 AM

There are no replies.

Why High Sierra is changing the link-local IPv6 address and how to disable this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.