Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Document saving problem

Since updating Pages a few days ago I've had a problem saving documents. They don't go where I placed them but end up in iCloud primary folder. I saved in iCloud/documents/newsletter/2018 but it did not end up there. I had to do a search to find the document. How do I solve this frustrating problem please?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Safari v. 11.0.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 5:04 AM

User uploaded file

Do you have access to an Apple Store for one of their Introduction to Mac courses?

Or get a book on macOS.

Or look through Apple's tutorials and Help files:

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

I am pretty sure that when you first started using your Mac there would have been an on screen guide as well.

Peter

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 5:04 AM in response to willjm

User uploaded file

Do you have access to an Apple Store for one of their Introduction to Mac courses?

Or get a book on macOS.

Or look through Apple's tutorials and Help files:

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

I am pretty sure that when you first started using your Mac there would have been an on screen guide as well.

Peter

Nov 16, 2017 6:27 AM in response to willjm

In your open, save, and export panels, there are two views: minimal (default), and expanded. The expanded view gives you more capability on navigation to where you want the document placed.

On the above panel, and to the right of the Save As: text field, there is a small button with downward facing 'v' symbol. Click that, and the panel will expand. After you save the document, Pages remembers this expanded panel selection.

Pages will also remember the last saved location on subsequent saves, or exports.

See Peter Breis's annotated image.

Nov 16, 2017 5:03 AM in response to willjm

I've found a solution to this problem. If I save the document to Desk Top I can then drag it to the chosen sub-folder, but why has Apple removed the ability to select the destination folder.

After I updated to the Sierra OS on my iMac last January I found the procedure for saving documents less convenient than before. After creating a new document and choosing the File/"Save as" command, I was presented with choices which included My username, Machintosh HD, iCloud Drive Documents, etc and below these Recent Places, which does not often include my destination folder, so I had to save to Desk Top. Then when I opened the Desk Top document and used File/"Save as" I now found in the "Where" window an extra item at the bottom - "Other" and that enabled me to work through the Pages sub-folders to the one I want. HOWEVER THIS NO LONGER WORKS AS EXPLAINED ABOVE. APPLE, PLEASE RESTORE THIS FACILITY.

Document saving problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.