Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with external iMac screen solution

OK so I dropped my mid 2011 iMac 27 on its head. I now have a black screen.

The iMac powers up (I can hear the chime and also the dull noise when entering the password wrong). I have had a quick look and all cables are attached inside.

I tried to connect with a thunderbolt to VGA cable on a external monitor. I could only see a very blurred version of my Yosemite background. I could make out the blue and orange but it was just a blur. Couldn't see any icons etc as just too blurry.

ANY ideas how I can get my data off? I have a 2017 4K iMac with the new thunderbolt cable. Which is the best solution to try and get some view of the old screen so I can drag the files onto a external drive? Also any idea whats up with the thing!

Thanks in advance

Mike

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 9:16 AM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2017 9:55 AM in response to Community User

Are you saying you never backed up the computer? If you have been then your data is saved. If you have not, next time you get a computer (any computer) have a sound backup plan!!!!!!!!

Your options are if you have access to another Mac you can attempt to use Target Disk Mode. You will find info in Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers - Apple Support

If you cannot use TDM then you will have to remove the HD and install it in an enclosure and connect that to another Mac.

Help with external iMac screen solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.