Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C issues

I have MBPro 13 inch touch bar 2017.

After upgrading to MacOS High Sierra, following started to happen.

Right UCB-C works fine... charges and recognizes my devices (disks, stick memory, ethernet, display)

Left USB-C rear... won't charge nor recognizes devices

Left USB-C front... will charge, but not recognize devices

I had authorized repair place run their diagnostics and no H/W issues were found.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 3:41 PM

Just came back from Genius Bar appointment.

Noted the following issues to the person assisting me:

1) Left side ucb-c port issues (both don't recognized devices, rear don't charge, front charges)

2) Slow boot after High Sierra update

3) Fast battery drain

Before the Genius Bar guy can run their own diagnostics, he discovered my machine is not accepting "critical update". This typically means firmware update was not being automatically accepted. He said this is a serious issue.

So he needed the machine to be looked at the repair shop. They will push the firmware update manually and then probably replace the main logic board (he guess there's h/w issue as far as usb-charging). Few days in the repair shop. I'll update again, when I get the repaired machine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 3:41 PM in response to winhawk757

Just came back from Genius Bar appointment.

Noted the following issues to the person assisting me:

1) Left side ucb-c port issues (both don't recognized devices, rear don't charge, front charges)

2) Slow boot after High Sierra update

3) Fast battery drain

Before the Genius Bar guy can run their own diagnostics, he discovered my machine is not accepting "critical update". This typically means firmware update was not being automatically accepted. He said this is a serious issue.

So he needed the machine to be looked at the repair shop. They will push the firmware update manually and then probably replace the main logic board (he guess there's h/w issue as far as usb-charging). Few days in the repair shop. I'll update again, when I get the repaired machine.

Dec 1, 2017 10:52 PM in response to winhawk757

Just got my Macbook Pro back from the Apple repair...

Since I handed the machine right before Thanksgiving, it probably took longer... but my guess is that the work took about 5 business days(?)

According to the invoice I received following was replaced:

- Logic Board

- Top case with battery ANSI keyboard

So it sounds like they replace all the guts?

Because everything was still under warranty, zero charge to me. Otherwise it would've cost around $480.

So far I haven't found any issue with it... spending the almost entire day restoring stuff from Time Machine.

USB-C issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.