Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 imac to new imac migration tips?

In all my Mac years, I've always done the long slog of connecting old mac > new mac and just copying everything over.

Which seems time consuming and perhaps unnecessary and probably copying over a lot of stuff I don't need anymore.

What I DO need is my documents folder (easy enough) and my photos (due to a buggy Photos app, I have most of my photos in Photos but a 2 year chunk that only opens in iPhoto because of metadata issues). Everything else I could start from zero (downloading all I need from work software pages or reinstalls). I feel like I've copied that same "stuff" over and over from 1 desktop and three laptops ago and it might be good to start fresh (excluding docs and photos).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Am slightly paranoid about losing the pictures so what do I need to copy to ensure this doesn't turn out poorly? We have two users on the computer but with the other user it's only the docs/photos that needs saving as well.

(Itunes backed up with whatever itunes match is now so can start from scratch there yes)? AM looking at the new 27 inch imac that's online at the moment.

any tips/suggestions/warnings would be appreciated.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:03 PM

I would back up your Old 2011 iMac on an external drive, using time machine, then on setup in the new mac, you should plug in that drive, and select "Migrate data through time machine backup" or similar, and let it load your stuff. (Warning, as you probably know, lots of passwords will need to be typed in, so know your user name and password to login, and Apple ID)

Thanks!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 4:03 PM in response to boloney

I would back up your Old 2011 iMac on an external drive, using time machine, then on setup in the new mac, you should plug in that drive, and select "Migrate data through time machine backup" or similar, and let it load your stuff. (Warning, as you probably know, lots of passwords will need to be typed in, so know your user name and password to login, and Apple ID)

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Yer_Man

When transporting photos (and iphotos - would that even run on the new OS?) - what do I have to ensure I copy over? That's my paranoia - 15 years of work and thousands of images..... everything else is not much of a concern.

Hilarious to think all I've ever done is migrate the "old way" which means it's basically a copy of my Powerbook 100 back in the day!

Nov 15, 2017 10:32 AM in response to boloney

Link the two machines together - how will depend on the capabilities of the two machines, or copy the data to an external HD and then onto the new machine.

Once there, open everything and make sure it all works and you've missed nothing beforeerasing anything on the old machine.

iPhoto v9.6.1 will run on Sierra. You can install it from the Purchases List on the App Store.

2011 imac to new imac migration tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.