Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Carrier unspecified in carrier version

I recently allowed a carrier update on my relatively new iphone SE. Immediately after that, enable wireless calling disappeared as an available option. I also can no longer text non-iphone users, and my voicemail doesn't work properly. I called my carrier, Consumer Cellular, and we went through several types of resets, with no resolution.

A day later, I received a carrier update and all the problems vanished! This time I checked Settings>General>About and saw "CC 30.0".

The following day I received yet another carrrier update and all the problems returned. That update is called "Carrier 30.1". Notice that it no longer has the "CC" designation - it looks like some sort of generic update and I suspect that because it is not a CC-specific update, some of the features do not work properly.

So the questions are: Why am I receiving non-Consumer Cellular carrier updates? How can I stop receiving these incorrect updates? And how can I get the latest CC carrier update pushed to my phone?

iPhone SE, iOS 11.1, op sys is 11.1.1

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 1:51 PM in response to hiker127 In response to hiker127

The first thing you should do is contact Consumer Cellular and ask to speak to advanced support. When you are connected to a representative, determine exactly what the current carrier version is and whether it is certified to be compatible with iOS 11.1.1.

Without knowing the answers to these questions there is really nothing you can do, other than to wait and see if a new update resolves the problems.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 15, 2017 11:59 AM in response to hiker127 In response to hiker127

You are not receiving non CC updates. They all come from CC. The only way you can get an update for another carrier is to put a different carrier's SIM in your phone and have it active on that network.

There are no "generic" carrier updates at all.

Nov 15, 2017 11:59 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 1:51 PM in response to hiker127 In response to hiker127

The first thing you should do is contact Consumer Cellular and ask to speak to advanced support. When you are connected to a representative, determine exactly what the current carrier version is and whether it is certified to be compatible with iOS 11.1.1.

Without knowing the answers to these questions there is really nothing you can do, other than to wait and see if a new update resolves the problems.

Nov 17, 2017 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 17, 2017 2:00 PM in response to hiker127 In response to hiker127

Resolution: Consumer Cellular (CC) is affiliated with T-mobile in some way. I seem to be receiving both T-mobile and CC carrier updates. The updates labeled "Carrier" are T-mobile and do not work properly with my Consumer Cellular service. The ones labeled "CC" are the correct ones.

As I worked with an Apple Support technician on the phone, I happened to receive a CC carrier update. I accepted it and everything works again. No one can explain why I also receive the T-mobile updates and I'm terrified to ever accept another update now that things are working. I think I'll just decline until they are forced on me, or else call CC first and verify they have really sent one out. I wish the notifications would provide the version.

Interesting to note that both CC and Apple insisted that the other one is responsible for pushing these to me (not creating them, but pushing them) and therefore the problem was with the other side. However, Apple was more helpful and more technically adept.

Nov 17, 2017 2:00 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: hiker127

Question: Carrier unspecified in carrier version