Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iphoto photos kept on my Macbook Pro

I have a Macbook Pro (late 2011 running OSX 10.11.6) and cannot find my iphoto library. I need to move it to an external hard drive to free up space on my Mac, but under the "pictures" folder in Finder, I can only see "Photos Library" not "iphoto library" which I assume is not the same?

VIN, MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 11:51 AM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2017 7:30 PM in response to suzie2_99

Hello suzie2_99,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. Since you running OS X El Capitan, you are most likely using Photos, the new photo app by Apple. This converted the iPhoto library for use with Photos.

If you open an app called Photos and all your pictures are there, that's the correct library, but please follow the information within this help article, as you may have to designate the System Photo Library properly, especially if you are using iCloud Photo Library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Thanks and have a great day.

Where are my iphoto photos kept on my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.