Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive will not eject using High Sierra

Hi, I am using both an iMac 21" (2015) with High Sierra and a 13" MB Air, also with High Sierra. I have a WD Elements external HD that I have been using for a Time Machine backup. I want to erase it so I can start over but the drive will not erase, keep getting an error message saying the drive cannot erase because disk utility could not unmount the drive. Also, it will not eject so to do so I have to shut down and unplug the drive. Help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 12:14 PM

First, restart the computer and re-try. If that fails try another USB cable, then can and do go bad.

By chance, do you have any WD software installed, any cleaning apps installed or any Anti-Virus apps installed?

6 replies

Nov 15, 2017 12:08 PM in response to dbnkc

I have to tell you I am now stymied. I have tried for the last 2 days to solve this issue, both by looking at apple community replies and googling the issue, no luck. I checked the Spotlight app to make sure the privacy list included this drive. I did a PRAM reset a few hours ago on the laptop then shut it down. After posting this question again, I plugged the drive into the other usb port and it suddenly acted exactly as it was supposed to, using the disk utility app I was able to run first aid and then successfully erase the drive and do another time machine backup. I can't explain why it is now working......

Nov 15, 2017 12:45 PM in response to dbnkc

WD makes excellent bare drives. I have purchased a good number of them over the years and all are still in service today. There external enclosures on the other hand (MyBook's) in particular, have a pretty poor reputation in comparison to most other brands.

Call it a glitch if you like, but personally I would no longer rely solely on it as my only backup drive. I would suggest getting a second slightly more expensive and more reliable backup drive from someone like OWC macsales.com.

external hard drive will not eject using High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.