Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Email with rules/subfolders on new imac not reaching iphone7

Recently purchased a new imac and setup mail subfolders to separate client emails like I usually do.

Something very strange is happening now. Any email that comes in and is moved to a folder on the imac, is deleted from my provider's mail server, and does not reach my iphone.

Both accounts are Imap

Edit: Any email not being sent to subfolders through rules stays on the server and does reach my iphone.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 15, 2017 1:07 PM in response to Kevin Stobbe In response to Kevin Stobbe

Sounds to me like you set up folders that are local to the mac mail app and NOT part of the IMAP store.

As for rules. Rules are local to the mac mail client. they do not sync to iOS devices. iOS devices do not support mail rules. If you want rules to effect messages on an iOS device, you need to set up rules on the server.

Nov 15, 2017 1:07 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 1:28 PM in response to KiltedTim In response to KiltedTim

Yes the rules are setup on my local imac, which I've been doing for years. My iphone would receive emails unfiltered, which I was fine with.

What suddenly has happened, it that it is selectively deleting only ruled messages from my provider's mail server and in doing so, preventing them from getting to my iphone.

Nov 15, 2017 1:28 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Kevin Stobbe In response to Kevin Stobbe

Well I'm seeing some new things for sure. I did not realize that my computer and the email server talked to each other. A lot.

Example 1) I receive an email on my mac and see it on the server. I move the message into a folder in my mail app and it disappears off the server. If I take it out and leave it in my general inbox, it reappears on the server.

Example 2) I start writing an email and it shows up onlineon the serveras a draft.

Example 3) I reply to an email in my general inbox and it shows up on the server as being replied to.

Usually whatever I did on my mac did not affect the server. Now they are connected in a way that's almost creepy on the privacy end of things. That being said, what is the best way to control my incoming email as I have multiple work clients and project emails that need to be filtered into separate folders for clarity.

Edit: plus I want the messages to reach my iphone and by moving them into sub folders they are "deleted" in the servers mind.

Nov 16, 2017 8:57 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Kevin Stobbe

Question: Email with rules/subfolders on new imac not reaching iphone7