Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express and Airplay2

I have a couple of Airport Express base stations installed specifically to use for Airplay. Will there be a firmware update that will support Airplay2? I heard AppleTVs will support it, not sure if it's just ATV4 and 4K or previous generations also. Any news on this?

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 1:54 PM

AFAIK, the 802.11n AirPort Express base stations do NOT support AirPlay 2. These devices were designed years ago before AirPlay 2 was even thought of. Apple slowly releases firmware updates, but never announces them beforehand. If I had to guess, it would take more than a firmware update to make these work.

As far as the Apple TV, only the 4th gen is reported by Apple to support AirPlay 2. I believe that the 4K model does as well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 1:54 PM in response to jhdick01

AFAIK, the 802.11n AirPort Express base stations do NOT support AirPlay 2. These devices were designed years ago before AirPlay 2 was even thought of. Apple slowly releases firmware updates, but never announces them beforehand. If I had to guess, it would take more than a firmware update to make these work.

As far as the Apple TV, only the 4th gen is reported by Apple to support AirPlay 2. I believe that the 4K model does as well.

Airport Express and Airplay2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.