Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sharing Photos library with two people

Hi all -

I followed Apple's instructions on how to share 'photo libraries among multiple users'. It worked for a bit, but now after my wife is done using Photos, and closes the program, it won't open after I change to my desktop. It says the library is still in use by another program... Restarting doesn't seem to help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Terry

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 3GHz i3, 12 GB, Radeon 4670

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 9:42 AM

When you quit Photos, the background processes to scan the library for faces or categories will start to run. They are not active, while Photos is open, so Photos will not slow down. These processes will initially be using a lot of time, until the library has been scanned. Try to get the scan done for both users by keeping alternately one of you logged in during the night, after you quit Photos. After the initial scan you should be seeing less of the "Library in Use". Occasionally, after a system upgrade or importing many new photos, the scanning will again need time to run after Photos has been closed.

You could try to disable your Photos Library as the System Photo Library: but then you cannot use it with iCloud or sync it with iTunes to iPhones or iPads. the System Library may also be in use by the Media Browser.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 9:42 AM in response to armtmurp

When you quit Photos, the background processes to scan the library for faces or categories will start to run. They are not active, while Photos is open, so Photos will not slow down. These processes will initially be using a lot of time, until the library has been scanned. Try to get the scan done for both users by keeping alternately one of you logged in during the night, after you quit Photos. After the initial scan you should be seeing less of the "Library in Use". Occasionally, after a system upgrade or importing many new photos, the scanning will again need time to run after Photos has been closed.

You could try to disable your Photos Library as the System Photo Library: but then you cannot use it with iCloud or sync it with iTunes to iPhones or iPads. the System Library may also be in use by the Media Browser.

Nov 16, 2017 2:50 PM in response to léonie

Leonie -

Thanks for the answer but it's not the one I wanted...😕

This is worse than it was before I moved the library to an external drive (following Apple's instructions). Used to be we only had to occasionally repair the library when we switched from one desktop to the other.

What's the sense of being able to switch desktops if you have to log off and on? We are both logged on all the time. Well, at least she is. I have to enter my password when I switch to my desktop but I've always assumed I did because I'm the administrator.

Terry

sharing Photos library with two people

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.