Once it has been set up, the Activity app runs automatically in the background, tracking your movement both during general daily wear and when recording any workouts. If you have not yet done so, follow the instructions here to set up the Activity app:
Heart rate readings are also taken automatically during general daily wear (when you are resting) and continuously during workouts:
For various features to work as expected, be sure to keep all sensors enabled and to keep Location Services enabled for your iPhone and Apple Watch.
If you would prefer to turn off any or all of those features for your iPhone and Apple Watch:
- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Privacy - turn on / off Heart Rate and/or Fitness Tracking.
- On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - turn on / off Fitness Tracking and Health.
- On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
- Turn on / off Location Services at the top.
- Change settings for individual apps and System Services via the options beneath.