Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Safari history after update

When I updated my laptop to High Sierra, my browser history in History.plist was not converted to the new file History.db.

Is there a way to restore my browser history?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 5:57 PM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2017 9:12 PM in response to clevergirl

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Safari. Move the files that start with History to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the files from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the files to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 15, 2017 9:19 PM in response to Eric Root

I had tried this before but on your suggestion I was more aggressive this time and moved the Safari folder and the SafariSafeBrowsing folder to the desktop. This time History began updating again.

Now that is working, I'll going backward in Time Machine to get the former history database

I'm not sure if the MacOS I was upgraded from used the History.db file. I think it used plist.

Restoring Safari history after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.