Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is premium technical support for malware protection reputable?

After receiving a notice from McAfee that I had malware on my computer (a Mac mini with OS 10.13.1), I clicked on what I thought was McAfee and got help after purchasing protective software. A technician worked with me on the phone to install the product from Premium Technical Support and claimed to have cleaned my computer and rid it of the malware (Linkey and something else as well). After I bought the software and spent about a hour on the phone while the installation was completed by a technician in India, I was reassured by hearing they had a 30 day refund policy.

Is this a scam or is Premium Technical Support reputable?

Mac mini (Late 2014), iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 7:25 PM

You just got scammed. You should erase and reformat your hard drive, then restore your computer from a backup made prior to when you allowed them access. Change your passwords and other critical information also. You don't know what software might have been installed. If you paid them by credit card, contact the credit card company, and close out the credit card.

Also, don't use McAfee. If after you restore from a backup, you find you have it installed, remove it.

McAfee Uninstall Resources is near bottom of the page

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 7:25 PM in response to marjoriefromlawrence

You just got scammed. You should erase and reformat your hard drive, then restore your computer from a backup made prior to when you allowed them access. Change your passwords and other critical information also. You don't know what software might have been installed. If you paid them by credit card, contact the credit card company, and close out the credit card.

Also, don't use McAfee. If after you restore from a backup, you find you have it installed, remove it.

McAfee Uninstall Resources is near bottom of the page

Is premium technical support for malware protection reputable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.