Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have some ringtones from the web as M4R files that I want to modify but they wont drag into the project window

I down loaded a ringtone from Zedge.net

it is a M4R file that came in as a 165,269 bytes and the help instructions for creating a ringtone in GarageBand say

1. Choose File > New.The Project Chooser appears, with categories on the left, and templates for the selected category on the right.
  2. In the Project Chooser, click iPhone Ringtone.Ringtone templates appear to the right.
  3. Double-click the ringtone template you want to use.
  4. In the New Project From Template dialog, type a name for the project.If you want to, you can set the tempo, key, and time signature for the project in the dialog, or change these later while you are working on the project.
  5. Click Create.The project opens, showing the timeline.
  6. Do any of the following:
    • Drag an audio file from the Finder to add it to the project.
    • This is where it fails as the M4R file will not be dragged into the project
    • I last modified ringtones for my iphone 4s when it came out and the whole process in the GarageBand of that vintage worked just fine I even made a ringtone from scratch but the "Send ringtone to itunes from share" does not work with garageband 11 ver 6.0.5 with Highsierra and its iTunes 12.7.1.14
    • this all was so simple when I last did it a few years ago but now the instructions from apple help that I have copied here for this task do not seem to work
    • Drag Apple Loops from the loop browser, then position them to create the project.
    • Record your own original music or other sounds in the project, using Real Instrument, Software Instrument, and Electric Guitar tracks.
  7. When the project is ready, click the Cycle button in the control bar.User uploaded file
  8. Drag the ends of the yellow cycle region to cover the part of the project you want to use for the ringtone. Ringtones can be up to 40 seconds long.User uploaded file
  9. Choose Share > Send Ringtone to iTunes.iTunes opens, showing the new ringtone in the Ringtones list.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 8:14 AM

Greetings Windshadow99,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you are trying to create a ringtone with GarageBand. It looks like you have already followed the steps to create the ringtone but you are not able to import a .m4r file. I would recommend you read this article, it explains which file types you can import into GarageBand.

You can import audio files of the following file types into a GarageBand project:

• AIFF

• CAF

• WAV

• AAC (except protected AAC files)

• Apple Lossless

• MP3

GarageBand for Mac: Import audio and MIDI files

Take care.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 8:14 AM in response to Windshadow99

Greetings Windshadow99,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you are trying to create a ringtone with GarageBand. It looks like you have already followed the steps to create the ringtone but you are not able to import a .m4r file. I would recommend you read this article, it explains which file types you can import into GarageBand.

You can import audio files of the following file types into a GarageBand project:

• AIFF

• CAF

• WAV

• AAC (except protected AAC files)

• Apple Lossless

• MP3

GarageBand for Mac: Import audio and MIDI files

Take care.

Nov 16, 2017 10:03 AM in response to brenden dv

Thank You

well that answers the question but I submit that this is a major flaw in the feature list for the application... in the past I was treating new ringtones so the lack of a M4R import in GB did not turn up... ring tone creation and modification should be a major part of the garage band family of apps but as the GB on Mac and the iOS versions of GB as well as the changes in iTunes and its interaction with iOS have developed and diverged it has become more complex the fact that the 7th most important how to in the GB Mac help file is Ringtone creation but following its instructions exactly no longer works due to the changes in iTunes and the way it interacts with IOS

I have some ringtones from the web as M4R files that I want to modify but they wont drag into the project window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.